Monday, September 22, 2008

My therapist is nuts

No really... after tonight's session I really have to wonder if this therapist I'm seeing is nuts. First, a quick background: I've been feeling out of sorts the past few months, crying at the drop of a hat, been discouraged, suffering from insomnia and wondering if I'll ever get healthy again. Finally, I decided enough was enough and started to check out therapists in the area. By checking out, I mean I e-mailed them and asked if they'd worked with patients that had CFS. One woman really stood out for me since she works with clients that have chronic illnesses and she used to be a nurse. I figured she'd understand what I was going through and be able to provide some useful tools. Tonight was our second session. I was telling her how rough last week had been for me with my husband gone and how I was so tired. I also talked about how hard it is to reconcile my current life with what I'd planned. She asked me what I thought was pretty obvious: "Do you think you might be feeling depressed?" DUH! I thought I'd mentioned that. I kept my calm though and stated that yes, I did think I was depressed and probably had been since my diagnosis over six years ago. So, she told me perhaps I should consider seeing a psychiatrist since they deal with mood and all. Um, why exactly am I seeing you?

Well, not being one to let an appointment go to waste I did inquire if she'd had a chance to get that list of neurologists for me. She had suggested at our first appointment that I see one since I've been suffering short-term memory loss, difficulty concentrating, headaches and issues with balance. I thought it couldn't hurt so I asked her for any recommendations. At this appointment she mumbled about some doctor's name and then picked up her cell phone to call her friend for a recommendation. Wasn't she supposed to do this before my appointment? Anyway, I have a recommendation in hand that I will call so this wasn't a complete loss.

I walked out of there feeling frustrated and negative. I don't know what her plan is for helping me out here and I don't know if she really gets me. I have to keep telling her my main illness is the chronic fatigue syndrome and not fibromyalgia. I made another appointment with her for a couple of weeks from now but I plan on getting an appointment with someone else in the meantime. If that person proves to be more helpful I'm no longer going to see this woman. I just don't see her as being very useful to me. I'm not sure what exactly I need but it's not what she's offering.

No comments: