Monday, October 13, 2008

EEGs are not fun

I went in to my EEG test this morning looking forward to an hour of relaxation. Um, no, that wasn't on the agenda. I had the electrodes attached to my scalp with this oopy, goopy stuff that gave me quite the attractive hairdo when I was done and then I had to lie perfectly still while the technician got stuff going on the computer. Then, just when I was about to relax she starts talking again. Now, don't get me wrong, she was a wonderful woman and I enjoyed talking to her while the electrodes were being attached. She made me laugh and it seemed like an occasion where the more laughter the better so I could relax. However, I was not in the mood for more conversation once the test began. For some reason I'd assumed I'd be left alone in the room for awhile but that wasn't the case. Then she started the photic stimulation part of the test. Basically, while I was lying on the table/bed there was a strobe light about three feet away from me flashing for awhile, stopping and then starting up again. My eyes started blinking rapidly during this and I couldn't get them to stop. Then, just as I was starting to recover from that we moved into the next and worst part of the test - the hyperventilation part. Wow, I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life. It was only supposed to last 3-5 minutes but it felt like hours of me hyperventilating. I got nauseous, my palms started sweating and I felt really disoriented and confused. I also started getting panicky thinking that something bad was going to happen. I also felt like I was going to pee my pants. Just when I was about to ask the woman to let me stop she told me I could. It's nine hours later and I'm still feeling out of sorts. I'm kind of a wimp I guess. Another surprise was that I wasn't meeting with the doctor today to discuss my MRI as I thought we would. I won't meet with her again until next Friday. I guess I'll get the results of the EEG then too. So, I'm still left feeling clueless.

On a more positive note, ever since I upped my dose of Cytomel under the reluctant approval of my endocrinologist, I've felt somewhat better. A tad more energy and I'm losing some of my weight. My face doesn't look quite as puffy. So, that's a bonus.

In other news, we celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary today. We didn't do anything too special. However, we did go to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner and I had roasted duck breast. YUMMY. One of the best gifts was that both kids were relatively well behaved during the meal so I didn't have to gulp everything down. I didn't dare risk ordering dessert but I didn't need it anyway.

No comments: