Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Busy, busy, busy

The past few days have been super busy for me. On Sunday we drove up to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania so we could spend some time with my Mom and also visit the cemetery my Dad's buried in. We normally would've gone in August but my husband was traveling then. Anyway, although it rained most of the time it was still a good opportunity to see some leaves changing colors. I love this time of year. Sunday was very nice. We spent a lot of time with my Mom and I pigged out at this sinful restaurant called the Country Cupboard. I got the buffet and pigged out on dishes like prime rib, baked corn, mashed potatoes and cherry pie. Yes, I know I'm not supposed to be eating things like pie because of the gluten but I couldn't resist. After all, I haven't received an official diagnosis, I just think I might have celiac. Monday was a tad disappointing. After a rough night's sleep (my son had some night terrors), we reluctantly woke up around 8. We started getting the kids dressed and their breakfast ready. Just as my husband was going into the shower there was a knock on the door. My Mom had just had breakfast and decided to come over. I didn't mind since an extra pair of hands with two young kids is always appreciated. However, the surprise came when she told me she was going to get on the road soon. This was unexpected since I'd planned on all of us going to the cemetery together followed by lunch before we all hit the road. When she saw the look I gave her she explained that she always gets anxious the day she has to drive. I had a hard time understanding this because she always complains how she doesn't see the kids enough and that when she does we only spend a couple of hours with her. Now she has the opportunity to spend a few more hours with them and she's not taking it. I will never understand this woman. However, my issues with my Mom will be discussed another day. I got over the hurt and managed to enjoy the rest of the day, especially our yummy lunch at the Bullfrog Brewery in Williamsport. I love their garlic fries and root beer. I'm beginning to understand how I was able to put on five pounds in two days now!

On top of all this madness and gluttony, Rosh Hashanah began Monday night after we got home. My husband and I were exhausted and chose to just order Chinese delivery and the kids had leftover chicken and french fries. So, it wasn't the holiday feast we should've had. However, I made up for that last night. I roasted a whole chicken with an apple inside it and basted it with a yummy mixture of olive oil and honey. Yummy. I also baked sweet potatoes, cooked some rice and bok choy. For dessert we had a honey cake and my husband and I enjoyed a glass of Riesling, a nice sweet wine.

I figured all this wasn't bad cooking when I had to take food allergies into concern AND I'm not Jewish. My husband is and we agreed to raise the kids Jewish so I get to enjoy all the Jewish holidays in addition to the Christian I grew up with. How this all works will be discussed in another blog. Anyway, my husband really appreciated the dinner and I think I actually got some of the symbolism right with all the sweet treats. Oh, and we had apples dipped in honey for an afternoon snack earlier in the day.

This morning I got to enjoy some one-on-one time with my son. I took him to his first mommy and me pottery class at the local art studio. We made a pencil cup out of slab clay using slip to hold it all together. He got to use a stamp to make a pattern on the cup and then he sponge painted it blue. I think it will look really nice after it gets fired in the kiln. We'll be picking it up next week. It was so nice to have that time alone with him and to do something fun like that. One thing about having more than one child you never get to spend as much time with each child as you'd like.

So, that's what I've been up to. My husband's home this week so I'm hoping to relax a bit more over the next couple of days. I have an appointment with a new therapist tomorrow night. Hopefully, she'll be more helpful than the nut I was seeing. Then, I'm going to see a neurologist on Friday to see if my memory loss, difficulty concentrating, dizziness, balance issues and headaches are caused by something other than the chronic fatigue syndrome. I really do hope we find something fixable. I'm tired of being stuck with an illness that isn't curable.

No comments: