Monday, February 22, 2010

Dammit! Life just isn't fair!


This is Ralphie. I adopted him from a shelter in November 1997 and he's been my baby ever since. Tonight I took him to the vet for a routine prednisone shot (he has a tumor on his mouth that's been kept in check for over a year with these shots) and I mentioned to the vet that he hadn't had much appetite for the past couple of days and he threw up his water this afternoon. He also had very dry skin. The vet fears that the steroid shots have caught up to him and it might be affecting his kidneys. So, I shelled out over $200 (money we don't have) for some blood tests tonight, fluids and Pepcid AC for the cat. The tests will tell us tomorrow or Wednesday whether Ralphie is suffering from something serious or just having a few bad days. Keeping fingers crossed. I really couldn't bear to lose him. I know he's almost thirteen years old and has been fighting cancer for the majority of those years but I still want to keep hoping. He makes me smile even on my crappiest days and I love what a snugglebug he is.

In addition, I'm still raw from the loss of Molly. My daughter has been crying during the day over her too. Rough times.

Oh, and it doesn't help that I'm sporting a fever (100.9, swollen glands and achy joints this evening. So, if this post seems scattered you know why. Really, haven't I been sick enough this year? I think this is my third illness since the beginning of January and I know I'd had a few other colds/flu in the months before that. What is up with my immune system? I feel that if we could get to the bottom of that it would answer a lot of questions, especially what the hell is wrong with me that I'm so tired all the time!

No comments: