Saturday, November 1, 2008

Please vote November 4

And if you're going to vote, please vote for Obama/Biden. For the first time in my life I made a contribution to a political candidate. This is the first time I actually believe that a person I'm voting for is going to make some changes for the better. Initially, I voted for Clinton in the primaries but when it became clear that she had no chance of winning I started learning more about Obama. The more I learned about his beliefs and how passionate yet calm he was I truly believed that this was the person who should be our next president. Like him, I believe that we have to repair our relations with our allies in the world. Our unilateral actions over the past eight years have done so much harm. The United States, although a powerful and wonderful country, cannot do everything alone. We need the support of our allies and we need to use diplomacy to get things done. In addition, we need someone who is willing to learn and work hard. I don't see McCain doing this. He is too busy insisting he is a maverick and sounds like he's just going to be bull-headed like Bush was for eight years. That is not going to help our economic woes. The next president is going to have a huge impact on the Supreme Court. If one or more of the justices retires the president will be choosing their replacement(s). This could swing the court to becoming even more conservative or could put some liberal justices in there. Having liberal justices would ensure the protection of rights such as Roe v Wade. I'm a grown woman and I don't want anyone telling me how to live my life. I could go on as to why I'm supporting Obama over McCain but I hear little howler monkeys (my children) clamoring for my attention. Feel free to send me a comment or message if you want to discuss this further.

No comments: