Sunday, November 2, 2008

Just When You Think You've Seen It All...

Thanks to the end of Daylight Savings Time today my kids woke up at 6:30 instead of 7:30 so we were able to get out the door to enjoy the morning. I decided to take them to a local park where there are hiking trails and a playground. We took our hike first and that was a lot of fun. Although it was cold outside (mid forties), the sun was shining and we were moving around a lot so it was pleasant. We didn't see any wildlife but my son had fun pointing out the trail blazes on the trees for me and we got to say "hi" to a few other people out for a hike. One of those folks was a woman hiking with her yellow lab. She didn't say "hi" back but I figured maybe she was one of those folks that aren't too keen on kids or something. I forgot about her and we finished our hike.

The kids were thrilled to have the whole playground to themselves. I guess other people's kids observed the time change and obliged their parents by sleeping in. Anyway, we were having a blast and then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the antisocial woman and her dog emerging from one of the trails. To my surprise she headed right for the playground. I was a little ticked that she was walking her dog across a playground (people aren't supposed to do that in case the dog poops or pees on the play area). However, I was in for an even bigger surprise when I heard her talking to her dog and saying something about slides. Yup, you guessed it. She had her dog walk up the stairs and pulled the dog's lead until it went down a slide. WTF? The dog had no desire to go down the itty bitty slide and she really had to baby talk to it and pull its lead to get it down. She did this several times until she'd had her fill.

How bizarre is that? Don't get me wrong, I love my pets and I've done some things that my neighbors must have thought odd like putting a harness on the cat and walking it around the backyard. However, this seemed a little more on the weird side than I felt comfortable with, ya know? Oh well, I guess people really do march to the beat of a different drummer.

On another note, I just wanted to say I had a blast on Halloween. My kids and I got dressed up and went trick or treating with my husband. The kids happily traded their candy in for new toys and now my husband and I are flying on sugar highs. Lovely. Anyway, here's pic of me in my pirate costume. It was nice having long hair again. LOL.

No comments: