Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thank God for Sesame Street

Honestly. I am completely exhausted today. Both kids seem tired too and cranky. It's two hours until Doug gets home so I did what any rational parent would do. I put on the TV and I told them to watch Sesame Street. That show is a parent's ticket to peace. It lasts an hour long without commercial breaks, is interesting enough to hold the kids' interest that long and it's almost guilt-free since it's considered "educational."

So, what's going on with me that I feel this wiped out? It's probably a combo of factors. I've been pushing hard on EA Active, doing the medium level (thank God today was a "rest day" for it) as well as my daily morning exercises. In addition, with the nicer weather, I've been spending at least an hour outside with the kids. I tend to do yard work while they're playing like picking up sticks or pulling out dead plants. Things that are harder labor than I'm used to.

I've also had some added stress this week. Joshua had an allergist appointment on Monday, an occupational therapist appointment yesterday followed by a recheck of his ears at the pediatrician's. That appointment was a bust since the pediatrician informed me Joshua still has the fluid in his ears. We're giving it one more month and then we'll have to consult with a surgeon about putting tubes in to drain the fluid. Ack! Then, this a.m., when I dropped off Joshua at preschool, the teacher handed me the report on his vision screening by the State. Joshua failed it and they claim he might have a muscle imbalance in his eyes. Oh Lord. Doug's sister has a "lazy eye" and I'm afraid that Joshua may have inherited that tendency. The pediatrician's office told me (I immediately called them on the phone) that they only do basic vision testing (he has 20/30 vision according to them so he can't be too bad) and I need to consult with an ophthalmologist. So, not only are we dealing with Joshua's multiple food and environmental allergies and eczema, along with delayed motor skills, we also have a possible vision problem. I really really need a vacation.

Then, to add to my stress, I had an appointment with the school registrar this morning to hand in the paperwork for Joshua's kindergarten registration. I went in there all confident since I not only had all the paperwork filled out, I had extra forms of identification to prove residency. One problem that the registrar kindly pointed out: they all had the P.O. Box address on them and couldn't be used. So, I was sent home to find proof of residency and told to fax it to her. Doug was home so he offered to use the fax machine on my printer that I'd never used before (I'm completely clueless). Surprise! I was out of ink and couldn't make a copy of the items we need to fax. Sigh. Doug ended up having to stop at the school on his way to work instead.

I've been drinking coffee despite my determination to give it up as of last post. I wonder if that's adding to my fatigue. The amount of sleep I've been getting is better than decent - between 7 and 8 hours each night.

So over-exertion, stress and coffee. Those are what I see as contributing to this yucky feeling. Oh, let's add in PMS too for kicks. Ugh.

No comments: