Monday, July 27, 2009

I love getting packages in the mail!

I was having a rough day today. Long story that we don't need to get into. The important thing is that I really needed a pick me up. Tada! The doorbell rings and the FedEx man is here with a new package for me. Yay! To my delight it is the scarf I ordered from novica.com to wear with a dress for a wedding we're attending in August.

If you've never heard of Novica, they are associated with the magazine National Geographic and their mission (copied from their website) is to give artists and artisans around the world a global platform to express their true artistic talents and to spur their creativity. "And, we want to provide you with access to unique, hard-to-find items at great values that only the Internet infrastructure can allow. At the deepest essence of our philosophy, we want to create a bridge between you and the many talented artisans across the globe. We want you to know about who you're buying from. We want you to feel that attachment to the product and to the hands that created it. In the spirit of the Internet, let us bring you together. NOVICA. The World is Your Market." How cool is that. I really liked how the person who created my scarf had a brief bio on the page and explained her techniques for her art. It made the scarf worth more to me than something I could pick up at Kohl's or Loehmann's even if it would've been cheaper to do so.

I loved the scarf on the web page (http://www.novica.com/itemdetail/index.cfm?pid=156468) but it was even nicer in person. To add to the pleasure of receiving it, it came gift-wrapped with a little hand-woven ornament
on the front of it, and a little card that taught me some simple phrases in the language of Bali (Balinese?). How cool is that? I'm a person who wishes she could be a world traveler but can't so I get my fix by reading about other cultures and this just made my day.

The scarf is even more beautiful in real life but this is a close-up shot of the detail on it.
I can't wait to wear this and I'm so happy I bought this. It is truly unique and not something I would've found in a store around here.

Doing a little happy dance now. :-)

No comments: